History of Thorpe Hall Primary School
Thorpe Hall Primary School was built in the 1930’s on the old site of Thorpe Hall Farm. The school was originally built as an Infant School and opened its doors to pupils in January 1935. At the time of opening it was a very modern new school, single story and with all classrooms opening onto the outdoors veranda. The playground was much smaller and the boundary pillars can still be seen at the edge of the playground. At that time the playground also had a large sandpit, swings and a paddling pool.
In the 1970’s the school expanded in to a Primary school and extra classes were added. This building was attached to the original brick building and was deemed a temporary structure. It retained its name of ‘the new unit’ until 2013, when the building was demolished.
In October 2013 the school was formerly expanded form a two form entry building into a three form of entry school. A major building project ensued, resulting in the building you can see today. For the first time the school had its own kitchen and nutritious school meals are now freshly cooked on site.
Thorpe Hall Primary School has always had a strong community ethos. Former pupils now bring their children to the school, and three ex pupils are among the members of staff – including the head teacher!